270 – Where to Start with DfM & DfR with Fred Schenkelberg
Welcome Fred back to the podcast. Clients are starting to realize that they have to design their systems properly while paying attention to certain tradeoffs. However, tell us where they should start; whether to design for reliability or maintainability.
Before starting, the team has to look at their business goals and decide whether the acquisition of any system or a piece of equipment assists to that end. It has to be a business decision.
Pay attention to:
- The environment of usage
- The cost of ownership; is it going to be profitable?
- The usage rate of the tool
- Type and quality of the tool
In this episode we covered:
- Understanding the tradeoffs is essential while keeping the important things in mind. Where do we place time and resources? Reliability or maintainability?
- Once they have chosen to rely on data and experience? Where do they start in designing for maintenance or reliability?
- Create basic standards. Otherwise, the advanced things like the right model shall not matter. Basic aspects such as a complete bill of material that can be uploaded on to the CMMS, documentation should be taken into account.