What definition of failure is used to measure Reliability?
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss “what is a failure?” in the context of measuring reliability. Reliability experts do not always agree on the definition of “failure.”
- the time to define “failure” is long before reliability testing begins.
- it is more than “it doesn’t work.”
- understanding an item failure begins with understanding the item function.
- some companies use “doesn’t meet stated requirements.”
- other companies use “what a discerning customer would return for warranty repair.”
- What about abuse?
- What about “failures” beyond the stated time?
- What about “failures” that are outside the operating environment?
- team should agree on failure definition.
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability, where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.