Safety and Reliability
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the bodies of knowledge that relate to safety, quality and reliability.
- Products that do not fail are generally safer than products that do fail
- “Fail-safe” products demonstrate a relationship between safety and reliability
- Is safety a subset of reliability or vice versa? What about quality?
- Safety as a design requirement
- Importance of designing-in safety and reliability
- Safety as a prime reason for the development of autonomous vehicles
- Safety and reliability can have different metrics
- FMEA and Hazard Analysis
- FMEA high-severity issues addressed first
- Management should see and buy into level of safety risk
- Team-based approach considers all aspects of design (all the “ilities”)
- The role of trade-off studies
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.