Safety – Binary or Variable
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the concept of developing and verifying safe products.
- Is safety a quality characteristic?
- Is an item safe or not safe (binary)?
- Need to design safety into our products
- Safety in the regulatory space
- Risk needs to be reduced to acceptable level (variable)
- Safety, hazard, risk – differences and similarities
- Is meeting regulatory requirements sufficient?
- Regulatory compliance is necessary, but not sufficient
- Safe and reliable is the objective
- How to specify safety requirements
- How to achieve safety
- Safety considerations with tandem events
- FMEA, FTA and other more sophisticated tools
- Safety and reliability tools overlap
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.
This book was mentioned in the podcast:
System Safety Engineering and Management, by Harold E. Roland and Brian Moriarty, John Wiley & Sons, copyright 1990