The 15 things your new “Smart Machine” won’t tell you.
1. It won’t tell you that someone failed to lubricate it
2. It won’t tell you that they put the wrong type in
3. It won’t tell you if they under filled it or overfilled it
4. It won’t tell you if they put contaminated lubrication in
5. It won’t tell you if someone replaced a lubricated bearing with a sealed bearing
6. It won’t tell you if someone used the incorrect fastener
7. Or if someone used a torque wrench to properly tighten that fastener
8. It won’t tell you the hydraulic hose is leaking….again
9. It won’t tell you someone just left 5 of the 6 screws out of the electrical cabinet
10. It won’t tell you someone took the dirty filter out and didn’t bother to replace it
11. It can’t change the insufficient foundation you set it on
12. It won’t detect 80% of the instrument air leaks that are costing you a fortune
13. It has no idea why those improperly routed wires keep failing.
14. That your instrument air is wet and dirty
15. That you’re going to let it run to failure regardless of how many potential failures it detects!
While the “new” advancements in the Industrial Internet of Things, Smart Machines and Machine Learning sure are exciting, investing in Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Programs and hiring certified Skilled Tradespeople is the ONLY way to ensure World-Class equipment reliability!
Douglas Plucknette is the President of Reliability Solutions Inc. and creator of RCM Blitz™. The author of Reliability Centered Maintenance using RCM Blitz™ and Clean, Green and Reliable a best-selling book on how to reduce energy consumption in manufacturing plants through equipment reliability. Doug has published over 100 articles on Maintenance & Reliability and has been a featured Speaker as well as Keynote Speaker at a countless number of conferences around the world.