Users of the Plant Wellness Way EAM methodology use accuracy-controlled procedures to turn their company into an Accuracy Controlled Enterprise: a quality driven, “learning organization” effectively using useful technologies.
In the biological world it’s the organisms that adapt fastest in response to changed conditions, which have the best chance to survive into the future. That’s the vital insight Charles Darwin espoused in his 1859 scientific publication, On the Origin of Species, on the theory of evolutionally adaption by natural selection in biological systems. Darwin’s theory has also been used to explain how businesses in a marketplace, which is a form of “biological system,” survive or don’t survive. The ability to see changing trends in the environment and then adapt early are key factors in survival.
Technological change is happening at an ever faster pace. Humanity’s progress from scientific developments expected in the 21st Century may equate to all the progress of the prior 20,000 years.1 In today’s and tomorrow’s world it’s an absolute must that companies be current in the technology that they use. They must also be faster in adopting better technologies than their competition. If you don’t at least keep pace with midlevel competitors in the adoption of useful technology, your company starts to fall into the lower quartile performers. Those companies still using pre-2005 software solutions in todays interconnected, integrated, web-based world know the delays, frustrations, duplications, wastes and losses that even just ten-year old software solutions cause businesses.
Regularly adopting more effective technology is a productivity imperative and a commerce survival strategy. In order to use technology to gain competitive advantage for a business, the organization needs to encourage the identification and then the adoption of value-adding technological innovations.
Creating a “learning organization” is a way to make the discovery and adoption of better technological solutions a natural part of doing business. In a learning organization its people expand their knowledge so that they can use the new knowledge to transform their company into a better performer. Sites with the Plant Wellness Way enterprise asset management system adopt the Accuracy Controlled Enterprise (ACE) work quality assurance methodology. With ACE they drive business process continual improvement and force the pace of workplace innovation. ACE also enables rapid, positive technological change to quickly be put into use in an organization. At a PWW site the people there become proactive in discovering more effective knowledge and solutions that deliver greater productivity and bring new commercial value.
Listed below are the opportunities a Plant Wellness Way site gets to identify useful new technology, and to encourage rapid adoption of new technology and techniques into use.
Identifying New Technology and Technological Solutions to Adopt
- Experimenting, measuring, and testing—doing the scientific method—becomes the natural way people in an Accuracy Controlled Enterprise “learning culture” use to find more effective solutions for higher productivity, and to assure right first time work quality in all their tasks.
- PWW sites become early adopters of better solutions. New productivity improvements are wanted and welcomed. Its people know that their future success depends on being ever more productive in every task, and becoming ever more capable of getting precise quality work.
- A new technological improvement that simplifies and furthers the effective use of accuracy-controlled procedures is quickly adopted. PWW sites want all their work to be standardized, systematized, and replicable. For example, adoption of interactive headsets to guide people in doing error-free work would be an early adopter necessity for a PWW operation.
- Business process management (BPM) and improvement are profit-growth imperatives at Plant Wellness Way sites. It’s normal to invent innovations and use new technology to get tighter statistical process control and enhanced process capability to be well inside specification.
- The design of PWW business, operations, and maintenance processes permits “big data analysis” across multiple processes. You identify trends and effects to gain powerful business intelligence about the way an organization works. You can spot the most effective new improvements to make to minimize your wastes and losses, lower energy use, reduce landfill, eliminate costs, etc.
Adopting, Imbedding and Quickly Putting New Technological Solutions into Use
- Accuracy-controlled procedures used at PWW sites are a “vehicle” for continuous improvement. They bring rapid introduction of new practices, get the right facts into use, and permit faster learning by users. Any new and improved ways to work are reliably imbedded into all relevant business, operations, and maintenance practices.
- Company procedures written in the ACE world-class job format promotes achievement of best practice performance and drives users to find, test, and use better, more successful methods to do the job. Through their use you lower costs, achieve better quality production, gain more throughput, and remove “bottlenecks” from processes.
- All new innovations and methods that create a safer workplace, reduce production wastes, save energy, eradicate landfill, eliminate or minimise the use of carbon-based technologies, etc. are speedily adopted and put quickly to use by changing the relevant accuracy-controlled procedures.
- ACE procedures let you provide operators and maintainers fast training with correct learning of new technologies. When new plant, equipment, computer software or hardware are installed, its accuracy-controlled procedures are written to contain the best instructions for its operation and upkeep. For example, on a new machine installation, its accuracy-controlled procedures would explain and train operators and maintainers on the most effective and efficient production practices, the types and proper use of instruments, how the process computer controls the machine to meet its operating duty, and the best ways to keep the equipment highly reliable and safe to use.
- New regulations and legislation are immediately incorporated into an organization’s practices through its ACE procedures and are straightaway put into use by its people. Changes to rules or methods related to safety, or the environment, or governance, or any other legal requirement, are simply and correctly put into the accuracy-controlled documents and then go into practice in the workplace.
The Plant Wellness Way is a 21st Century solution to get the sure world class plant and equipment reliability needed for operational excellence in industrial, manufacturing and process companies.
The PWW gets you to adopt new technology, and it allows the adoption of new technology more easily and successfully than using any other EAM methodology that now exists.
More information on Accuracy Controlled Enterprise work quality assurance methods is available in the Industrial and Manufacturing Wellness book, which you can buy from the publisher’s website: Industrial Press. An ebook version is available. It is also at Amazon Books.
All the very best in your future, and in the future of your organization,