First things first, let’s get something straight, I am not an internet marketing genius. I do however talk with dozens of folks like myself who have active websites, write regular blog posts and enjoy interacting with family, friends and even customers via social media.
As a result like everyone else I have my list of pet peeves, the things that on their own may not send me over the top but put a few of them together and you will find me talking to the computer screen or my cell phone in a language not intended for young audiences.
So here are the things I think are the 5 things I hate about Social Media.
- To read more click here – You either post or share an article or link that takes more than 1 click to review! Good lord nothing drives me more nuts than trying to read what might be a good article but I have to keep clicking continue! It’s not that my attention span is so short that I can only deal with 1 click it’s that I’m interested and now I have to click, wait for it to load, scroll by all the useless ads and hope what I’m looking at is still the article I might have been interested in! This would include the old “If you like what you see and want to read more, click here and sign up for my blog.” How about you just completely lost my interest! I’m not giving you my email address, my home address or phone number because I know from this date forward you are going to send me a daily pile of sales garbage!
- The Bully/Coward/Troll – They live here 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If there were one thing I could change about the internet it would be a way to identify and punish those who somehow find satisfaction in hurting others. If you don’t like someone, a company or product, talk about the things, people and products you do like. I personally have a 2 strikes policy when it comes to folks like this. Two offences and you’re blocked or deleted. Don’t get me wrong here, I respect the opinion of all the folks I am connected with via social media but if I see someone in Bully/Troll mode they are gone.
- The threat post – I really hate the threat post! “You’re not an American if you don’t like or share… You won’t get to heaven if you don’t reply Amen….. You’re heartless if you don’t give little Joey’s first grade teacher a like show she can show kids how fast crap travels around the world on social media.” Apparently I am a heartless, non-American who isn’t going to heaven who talks to his computer and smart phone!
- The hater – The Hater is different from the Bully/Coward. The Hater tends to pass along tidbits of information about the things or people they don’t like with no regard to truth. We all know a few, some hate the President. Others hate guns. Apparently lots of people hate Tom Brady (Until of course they get the news he is leaving Boston and about to sign with their team) I guess I could even fall into this category because I hate, hate posts! I’m not sure I will ever be successful because the hate post seems to be very popular. Don’t believe me? Just check out one of those hate posts about Donald Trump and look at how many likes it has!
- The political posts – I think we all might be guilty here but let me make something clear (Crap! I think Obama uses that phrase a lot!) I really like my followers, I truly enjoy my friends and I love my family but being honest I could give a crap who you want to win any political office from the Mayor of your home town to the President of the United States. On top of that let’s get real, how much of the political garbage that gets posted is even half true? There is so much junk out there I even find myself wishing we could just go back to the crappy signs people put up in their lawn but I can’t stand those either!
So how do we make it better? I would be the last person to say we need a board of censors to eliminate the things I find bothersome. So how about we just focus on items 1 and 2 and in regard to 3 thru 5 wake up in the morning grab that cup of coffee, share a smile with a friend and talk about the good things in life!