The Role of Reliability Assessments with Dan Anderson
In this episode, the guest Dan Anderson explains the role of Reliability Assessments in the organizations. Whenever an organization starts its journey towards the reliability excellence, it has to start by considering some things. One of the very first steps is to create awareness among all the employees. The workforce needs to understand and learn about the goals and objectives of the organization. Now once the employees have sufficient understanding, they should be ready to cooperate in any way organization needs them for a better and long term reliability plan.
After this, they can look for a partner because they will need to expand their business at some point and for that they will need to evolve according to the changing industrial environment of other organizations they have to learn from and compete with too. Now, the partners should be able to assess the current state of the organization, the seasonal as well as long term reliability plans, and run diagnostics if needed along with recommendations in the process. There are certain things that an organization needs to look for when searching for perspective partners.
- Making the employees learn about the strategic goals of the whole organization and teaching them to accomplish these goals is the key to a successful long-term reliability program. It is always a good practice to prepare them for change so that they can know about the best and advanced practices at all times.
- Once you have selected a partner, you need a realistic in-depth plan that you can explain to not only your employees but the executives who will assess this plan based on numbers and return on investment.
- After the leadership is convinced, you can move forward with the plan of action, perform day to day and weekly assessments, and then continue refining them with time as reliability assessment is a continuous process. These assessments can also include on-site information gathering by the consultant about CMMS, spare parts, PM handling, and prioritized list of actions.
- Now, the organization needs to implement these newly learned best practices, try different procedures, rule out the best techniques with the consultant, and then continue improving on their own to own these procedures and processes. There can also be a reassessment of the benchmarked plans from time to time once the organization has developed a trust relationship with the consultants which is a healthy practice.
- The best way of implementing these reliability assessments is to make the people understand the end vision of the organization and not only the organizational benefits but the individual value in it for them as well. Then you need to have the support of every department along with stakeholders and operations management. This can only be done with the help of the leadership along the way as they are the ones who drive the change into every direction.
- As it is a time taking process, people need to consistently improve their performance based on evaluation routines, provided road maps, and set milestones.
- Eruditio, LLC
- A Smarter Way of Preventative Maintenance – Free eBook
- Maintenance Planning & Scheduling: Planning for Profitability Video Course
Dan Anderson & LCE Links;
Rooted In Reliability podcast is a proud member of Reliability.fm network. We encourage you to please rate and review this podcast on iTunes and Stitcher. It ensures the podcast stays relevant and is easy to find by like-minded professionals. It is only with your ratings and reviews that the Rooted In Reliability podcast can continue to grow. Thank you for providing the small but critical support for the Rooted In Reliability podcast!
Leave a Reply