Importance of People in an Asset Management Model with Scott Kelley
In this episode, the guest Scott Kelley explains the role of the people component in the asset management model. Asset management is the most effective way of making the best use of investment and improve the production level of any organization. There are total six components in the model; people, plant, processes, policies and procedures, performance, and proactive maintenance. The people factor is of top priority among all of these factors. Why is the people component most important? Well, considering even if you have excelled in every other cell, you are going to need people to manage all of these and above all well trained and skillful people to make this work. Now, this cell in the model contains things such as organizational development, organizational structure, continuous improvement, change management, and operational excellence.
- Now, the first thing that you need to have a clear vision and mission so that you will exactly what you are trying to accomplish and what is the end goal of all this struggle. Change is the major part of this phase and should be handled carefully and then the relative factors including roles, responsibilities, and expectations need to be defined and achieved. People working to carry out these things need to know the performance standards and evaluation mechanism so that they can align their goals with the organizational goals.
- Then the skills of the individuals should be monitored so that you can bring them up to the level of performance that you need. The training sessions should be provided to enhance the skills that already have and then make them use this knowledge and developed abilities in the field so that they can learn from experience as well. Then you can find some way to measure and appreciate their work too by providing internal certification or by some other evaluation standard. In this way, you have the proof of an individual’s expertise and manage everyone accordingly.
- Then comes the organizational structure that defines the activities such as task allocation, coordination, and supervision toward accomplishing organizational goals. It also reflects how the workers see the organization and its environment.
- The next step is continuous improvement which is a philosophy based upon which you adopt the strategies to make it happen in a better way. That is how you strive to do things better for sustainable production and improved performance. This also relates to the change management and operational excellence as consistency is the sum of all these factors at their best.
- There are a few strategies that can be used for this and one of them is total productive maintenance which focuses on the overall equipment effectiveness. You can also use the 5S program for organizing the workspace effectively and efficiently.
The last thing that helps in the optimization of improved working is the self-empowerment of the workforce so that the workers can identify and solve problems on their own. All of these things complete the people cell in the asset management model
- Eruditio, LLC
- A Smarter Way of Preventative Maintenance – Free eBook
- Maintenance Planning & Scheduling: Planning for Profitability Video Course
- Plant Hexcellence Article on People
Geometric Reliability Links:
Rooted In Reliability podcast is a proud member of Reliability.fm network. We encourage you to please rate and review this podcast on iTunes and Stitcher. It ensures the podcast stays relevant and is easy to find by like-minded professionals. It is only with your ratings and reviews that the Rooted In Reliability podcast can continue to grow. Thank you for providing the small but critical support for the Rooted In Reliability podcast!