Maintenance v Product Reliability Engineering
Carl and Fred discussing a listener question about the crossover knowledge between asset reliability and product reliability. What are the similarities? What are the differences? What about a potential career change between one and the other?
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the body of knowledge in product reliability and how much of it is similar to the body of knowledge in asset reliability.
- Can an asset reliability engineer apply for a product reliability engineer position?
- Can a product reliability engineer apply for an asset reliability engineer position?
- What is Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) and how is it different from product reliability?
- Discussion of similarities
- Discussion of differences
- Maintenance FMEA vs Design FMEA
- Level of detail in FMEA is different between Maintenance FMEA and Design FMEA
- If you want to move from a career in product reliability to maintenance reliability, you need to learn the concepts of supportability and RCM.
- If you want to move from a career in asset reliability to product reliability, you need to learn the concepts of product design and product development.
- Accendo Reliability has lot of resources to learn RCM and asset reliability, as well as product reliability
- Learn what are the priorities in each field
- Maintenance people can get involved in product design: design for maintainability
- Types of decisions are different
- If you are job hunting, adjust your resume and career plan to focus on your career objectives
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.