Inside Company Career Advice
Carl and Fred talking about their experiences in their own careers and advices for others in developing and taking advantage of career opportunities within a company.
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the most important lessons when advancing careers. This podcast will talk about career advancement inside a company. The next podcast will share lessons and experience when changing jobs outside of a company.
- Lessons for advancing your career, if new on the job.
- Lessons for advancing your career, if you have been on the job for a while.
- Doing more than anticipated, especially from a quality and value standpoint.
- Make sure you understand what people want and then deliver what they want in addition to adding value.
- Find the right balance when marketing yourself; do good work and make sure people are aware of your work.
- Become the “go to” person for help and advice.
- Help other people be successful.
- Spend at least 10% of your time improving your knowledge and skills (Covey calls it “sharpen the saw”).
- Work across silos and make pathways that integrate your work with other departments.
- Be willing to work out of your comfort zone.
- Always be looking for your next job; always prepare for your next job.
- If you see something that needs improvement, don’t wait, just do it.
- Evolve your role to be more effective.
- Build relations across the organization.
- Find a good mentor to help you become more valuable.
- When you have a mentor, listen and follow advice.
- Let management know what you want to do in your career.
- You are in charge of your own career.
- Reliability engineers need to dedicate time to work on communication skills.
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.
Leave a Reply