I like the occasional good catchphrase. I typically tend to speak in analogies and anecdotes and many of my customers and colleagues have suggested documenting them. So on occasion, I will write them in my notebook. Here are a few.
- Language is the tragedy of Reliability
- The “5 Why” root cause analysis works so well because it is intuitive. Ever have a 4-year-old ask you about how something works?
- Bad data is like driving with a dirty windshield
- A completely clean data set is a fake data set
- Statistics is a language. Take the time to learn the vocabulary
- Stress margin is having a second drink before the kids come home
- Statistical modeling is a cruel mistress.
- Smashing your product on the floor is a valid HALT test…and a kinda awesome day at work.
- Nobody knew Microsoft Windows was so buggy until Apple OS came along
- First generation technology sells on features, second generation technology sells on reliability
- Unfortunately, Aloe is an easier sell than sunscreen
- A plastic fork may have a 99.9999% reliability in a cafeteria but not on an arctic expedition
- Dirty data for Weibull analysis is making dinner with what you find in the back of the freezer
- Batman is an unrealistic superhero. All of his gadgets are prototypes that never fail
- There are no small changes
- Reliability is the science of handling uncertainty
- Innovative designs build sales. Reliable designs build brands
- Data is like clay. It’s only beautiful if you work with it
- Over reliable and under reliable look the same in the graveyard
- The right test, for the right reason, at the right time
I sent a message to Hallmark to see if they are interested in doing a series.