Deeper Dive into Failure Mechanisms
Carl and Fred discussing the importance of understanding and applying failure mechanisms in achieving high reliability.
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the application of failure mechanisms in design for reliability.
- What are failure mechanisms?
- How are failure mechanisms different than from failure modes and causes?
- Why does a thorough understanding of the underlying physics of failure help to improve reliability in design?
- What are the different types of failure mechanisms?
- Can there be more than one root case?
- What if the research costs to find the underlying root case and failure mechanism costs too much? What is the trade off?
- Consider this rule: When there is high risk, always dig deeper to get to root cause and underlying failure mechanism.
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques, to field data analysis approaches.
The following link will take you to an excerpt from the book Failure of Materials in Mechanical Design: Analysis, Prediction, Prevention, by Jack Collins, copyright 1993, John Wiley & Sons. Inc.]
Leave a Reply