HALT & Activation Energy
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the difference between ALT and HALT, what models can be used, and the limitations.
- HALT is intended to find product weaknesses, not a life test
- HALT will help you know the failure mechanism, which is key to improving the product reliability
- FMMEA: Failure Mode, Mechanisms, and Effects Analysis
- Always ask: what are the assumptions and limitations that go into a particular model before using it
- Standards often don’t include limitations
- Not feasible to write a generic test plan for temperature and humidity that applies to all technologies
- Start with the failure mechanism; if don’t know the failure mechanism you can use HALT to learn the mechanism of failure
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.