What Price Reliability?
Carl and Fred discussing the reliability of the Texas electric grid debacle, and what can be learned from a reliability point of view. Lessons learned from this problem can be applied to other industries.
Join Carl and Fred as they discuss the cost of reliability in the electric grid. Should electrical system providers communicate the price of long-term reliability, so customers can make an informed choice?
- Lack of feedback loop on the long term reliability of electrical generation and transmission equipment
- Deferred maintenance creates reliability problems
- Life cycle costing, budgeting and modeling, from beginning to end
- Applying reliability tools throughout product life cycle
- Customers want low cost electricity; are they willing to pay for the maintenance that avoids shut downs during rare events?
- Is part of our job as reliability professionals to inform customers about long term reliability?
- How can we ensure preventive maintenance is priced into the product?
- There is no incentive to maintain electrical grid equipment; same with highways
- Incentivizing for quarterly results does not support long-term reliability
Enjoy an episode of Speaking of Reliability. Where you can join friends as they discuss reliability topics. Join us as we discuss topics ranging from design for reliability techniques to field data analysis approaches.